Columbia University Medical Center
Ranked #1 in Psychiatry
U.S. News & World Report
Ranked #1 in Research Funding
National Institutes of Health
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital The University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell

Ask the Experts


I am a nontraditional student returning to college with diagnoses of depression, bipolar type II; ADHD; social phobia; and another anxiety disorder due to a trauma.

I know it is imperative that I tackle these challenges to meet my personal and academic goals, and I feel I would greatly benefit from CBT.

How should I approach finding someone familiar with helping people adjust to academic environments?

Answered by: Franklin Schneier

Most of the disorders you mention typically either begin or become problematic during high school or college-age, so most experienced therapists frequently encounter issues of adjustment to academic environments.

Therapists with specific training in cognitive behavioral therapy can be found through the Association for Behavioral and Cognitive Therapies (, the Anxiety Disorder Association of America (, or local mental health professional organizations. You may also want to investigate counseling resources available through your college.