Columbia University Medical Center
Ranked #1 in Psychiatry
U.S. News & World Report
Ranked #1 in Research Funding
National Institutes of Health
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital The University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell

Ask the Experts


I would like to boost my self confidence and be more bold. Can a Psychiatrist help me?

Answered by: David Kahn

It's worth a discussion with a psychiatrist or other well-trained therapist such as a clinical psychologist, to see what the problem is and what can be done about it. Your description could be a number of different things with different meanings and diagnoses, leading to different approaches in treatment.

For example, you might be referring to feeling shy and even anxious around people; or you might mean not knowing how to follow through on accomplishing goals.

I suggest you go talk to a good psychiatrist or therapist, try to get a handle on the root of the problem, and ask if you can be helped by talking therapy, and possibly, if anxiety or depression is part of the problem, by medication.