Columbia University Medical Center
Ranked #1 in Psychiatry
U.S. News & World Report
Ranked #1 in Research Funding
National Institutes of Health
NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital The University Hospital of Columbia and Cornell

Ask the Experts


My husband was diagnosed with GAD 1 1/2 years ago. He has been on 13 different medications and has not gotten results. He has a psychiatrist and a therapist.

What is the next step to take with treatment resistant anxiety w/ mild depression?

Answered by: Franklin Schneier

The next step I recommend is to get a consultation with a psychiatrist, preferably with expertise in anxiety disorders, who can reassess issues, such as: Is the diagnosis correct? Was anything missed? Have the medication trials been of appropriate medications and adequate dosage and duration? Are other medications worth trying? Has the therapy been specifically tailored to GAD, and if not, would a specific approach such as cognitive-behavioral therapy for GAD be recommended?