Steven Hyler, M.D.
Professor of Psychiatry at CUMC
Professor of Psychiatry at CUMC,
Columbia University Medical Center
Senior author of the Personality Diagnostic Questionnaire-4th edition (PDQ-4). Former Medical Director of Bureau of Psychiatric Services and Research Institutes Support of the NYS-OMH. Coordinated Telepsychiatry consult service of NYS-OMH. Distinguished Fellow of APA. Recipient of Roeske Award (Medical Student Teaching) and Irma Bland Award (Psychiatry Resident Teaching) of the APA. Interests in technology, telepsychiatry, popular culture, media, and film.
Undergraduate: New York University, BA Psychology, 1967-1971
Medical School: New York Medical College, M.D., 1971-1975
Internship: NYMC- Metropolitan Hospital, psychiatry, categorical *, 1975-1976
Residency: NYMC- Metropolitan Hospital, psychiatry, 1976-1978
Board Certifications: American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
• Personality Disorders
• Factitious Disorders
Research in personality disorders, telepsychiatry, and psychiatry and the media.
1. Hyler SE and Gangure D: Can Telepsychiatry Replace In-Person Psychiatric Assessments? A Meta-analysis and Review. CNS Spectrums 2005;10: 403-413
1. Hyler SE and Gangure D: Legal and Ethical Challenges in Telepsychiatry. J of Psychiatric Practice 2004;10 (4): 1-5
1. Hyler SE and Gangure D: A Review of the Costs of Telepsychiatry. Psychiatric Services 2003;54: 976-990
1. Hyler SE and Gangure D: Technological Advances in Telepsychiatry. Primary Psychiatry 2002;9: 24-28
1. Hyler SE and Schanzer B: Using Commercially Available Films to Teach About Borderline Personality Disorder. Bulletin of the Menninger Clinics 1997;61 (4): 458-468