Marion Blank, PH.D.
Lecturer in Psychiatry
Dr. Blank is a developmental psychologist with a specialization in language (both spoken and written) and learning. She has developed literacy programs for children with learning disabilities including children with ASD (autistic spectrum disorder), who do not speak.
In addition to producing various books, articles, tests and software programs, she also maintains a private practice and serves as a consultant to a wide range of school districts.
In 1994 and 1995, she was selected as the New Jersey nominee for the Frank R. Kleffner Clinical Career Award of the American Speech-Language Hearing Association. In 1990, she developed a software reading program, Sentence Master, which received the Special Education Software Award of 1990 from the Software Publishers Association. In 2006, she launched the Phonics Plus Five reading program which is available at phonicsplusfive.com.
In 2010, she launched the Reading Kingdom which offers a complete software program for teaching reading and writing skills for K-3. It is available at www.readingkingdom.com
Undergraduate: City College of New York, B. A.
Graduate: Cambridge University, Ph.D.
Medical School: Columbia University, MPH
Doctoral Degree: City College of New York, M.S. in Ed.
• Neuropsychiatry/cognitive disorders
• Child psychiatry
802 66 Songhees Road
Victoria , V9A 0A2
My research interests are focused on defining and treating language problems in children.
1. Blank M: The Reading Remedy, Wiley, Hoboken, NJ, 2006
1. Blank M and Cull, Mary Beth: Autism and Language: The two worlds underlying verbal communication in (Eds. S. J. Behrens, J.A. Parker) Language in the Real World, Routledge, New York, NY, USA, 2010
1. Blank M, Marquis MA, Klimovitch M : Directing Early Discourse, Communication Skill Builders, Tucson, AZ, 1995
1. Blank M, Marquis MA, Klimovitch M : Directing Early Discourse, Communication Skill Builders, Tucson, AZ, 1994
1. Blank M, Berlin LJ: A Parents Guide to Educational Software , Microsoft, Redmond, WA, 1991