Michael Devlin, M.D.
Professor of Clinical Psychiatry
Associate Director, Eating Disorders Research Unit,
New York State Psychiatric Institute
Dr. Devlin is Professor of Clinical Psychiatry at Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons and Associate Director of the Eating Disorders Research Unit at New York State Psychiatric Institute. He attended medical school at Columbia and completed his psychiatry residency at New York State Psychiatric Institute/Columbia-Presbyterian. Following his residency, he joined the Eating Disorders Research Unit at NYSPI under the direction of Dr.Tim Walsh, and he has worked with patients with eating disorders and conducted clinical research there since that time. His major academic interest is in the treatment of patients with eating disorders, and he recently completed work on an NIMH-funded study of psychotherapy and medication treatment for overweight patients with binge eating disorder. An additional area of interest is in the relationship between eating disorders and the outcome of surgery for obesity. In addition to research, he is active in medical student education and in training and supervision of psychiatry residents, particularly in cognitive behavioral therapy. He served on the American Psychiatric Association Practice Guideline Work Group on Eating Disorders. He is an active member of the Academy for Eating Disorders and is a past President of that organization.
Undergraduate: Princeton University, A.B., 1978
Medical School: Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, M.D., 1982
Internship: Lenox Hill Hospital, Medicine, 1982 - 1983
Residency: NYS Psychiatric Institute/NewYork Presbyterian Hospital, Psychiatry, 1983 - 1986
Fellowship: New York State Psychiatric Institute, Developmental Psychobiology, 1986 - 1989
Post-Graduate: Columbia University College of Physicians & Surgeons, Postdoc Clinical Fellow in Psychiatry, 1986 - 1989
Post-Graduate: New York State Psychiatric Institute, Physician Training in Clin & Treatment Research, 1986 - 1989
Board Certifications: American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
• Eating Disorders
NYS Psychiatric Institute
Room 2213 Unit/Box:116
1051 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10032
Dr. Devlin's primary research interest is in the treatment of eating disorders, particularly disorders associated with obesity, such as binge eating.
1. Devlin MJ, Cutler JL, Harper OL: Taking it personally: Exploring students' emotional responses and professional roles during the psychiatry clerkship. Academic Psychiatry 2012;36: 243-245
2. Devlin MJ, Kissileff HR, Zimmeril EJ, Samuels F, Chen BE, Brown AJ, Geliebter A, Walsh BT: Gastric emptying and symtoms of bulimia nervosa: effect of a prokinetic agent. Physiology & Behavior 2012;106: 238-242
3. Devlin MJ, Goldfein JA, Petkova E, Liu L, Walsh BT: Cognitive behavioral therapy and fluoxetine for binge eating disorder: two-year follow-up.. Obesity 2007;15: 1702-1709
4. Devlin MJ, Goldfein J, Petkova E, Jiang H, Raizman PS, Wolk S, Mayer L, Carino J, Bellace D, Kamenetz C, Dobrow I, Walsh BT: Cognitive Behavioral Therapy and Fluoxetine as Adjuncts to Group Behavioral Therapy for Binge Eating Disorder. Obesity Research 2005;13: 1077-1088
5. Devlin MJ, Goldfein JA, Dobrow I: What is this thing called BED?: Current status of binge eating disorder nosology.. International Journal of Eating Disorders 2003;34: S2-S18