Margaret Haney, PH.D.
Professor of Neurobiology (in Psychiatry)
Director of Marijuana Research Laboratory,
New York State Psychiatric Institute
Associate Director of the Substance Use Research Center,
Dr. Margaret (Meg) Haney is a Professor of Neurobiology (in Psychiatry), and Co-Director of the Substance Use Research Center at Columbia University Medical Center. Her research focuses on the consequences of chronic marijuana use, as well as the development of novel approaches for the treatment of cocaine and marijuana dependence. She and her colleagues were one of the first to demonstrate that marijuana produces a time-dependent, pharmacologically-specific withdrawal syndrome . An additional interest is the potential therapeutic effects of marijuana and other cannabinoids. Dr. Haney is an author of more than 120 articles in peer-reviewed journals, acts as an advisory editor for Psychopharmacology, has been a member of NIH review groups and is on the Board of Directors for the College on Problems of Drug Dependence.
Undergraduate: Rutgers College, B.S., 1981-1985
Graduate: Tufts University, M.A., Ph.D., 1985-1992
• Drug Dependence
I am interested in characterizing and developing treatments for cannabis use disorder as well as assessing the potential medical benefit of cannabinoids.
1. Haney M, Bedi G, Cooper ZD, Glass A, Vosburg SK, Comer SD, Foltin RW: Predictors of Marijuana Relapse in the Human Laboratory: Robust Impact of Tobacco Cigarette
Smoking Status. Biological Psychiatry 2013;73: 242-248
2. Haney M, Gunderson EW, Jiang H, Collins ED, Foltin RW: Cocaine-specific antibodies blunt the subjective effects of smoked cocaine in humans. Biological Psychiatry 2010;67: 59-65
3. Haney M, Cooper ZD, Bedi G, Vosburg SK, Comer SD, Foltin RW: Nabilone decreases marijuana withdrawal and a laboratory measure of marijuana relapse. Neuropsychopharmacology 2013;38: 1557-1565
4. Haney M: Neurobiology of Stimulants, M Galanter, HD Kleber (Eds.), Textbook of Substance Abuse: 4th Edition., Washington, DC, USA, 2008
5. Haney M, Gunderson EW, Rabkin J, Hart CL, Vosburg SK, Comer SD, Foltin RW: Dronabinol and marijuana in HIV+ marijuana smokers: Caloric intake, mood and sleep. JAIDS 2007;32: 1391-1403