Mindy Fullilove, M.D.
Professor of Clinical Psychiatry and Professor of Clinical Sociomedical Sciences
Director, Cities Research Group,
NYSPI and Mailman SPH, Columbia University
Chair, Board of Directors,
University of Orange, Orange, NJ
Mindy Thompson Fullilove, MD, is a research psychiatrist at New York State Psychiatric Institute and a professor of clinical psychiatry and public health at Columbia University. She was educated at Bryn Mawr College (AB, 1971) and Columbia University (MS, 1971; MD 1978).
She is a board certified psychiatrist, having received her training at New York Hospital-Westchester Division (1978-1981) and Montefiore Hospital (1981-1982). She has conducted research on AIDS and other epidemics of poor communities, with a special interest in the relationship between the collapse of communities and decline in health.
From her research, she has published Root Shock: How Tearing Up City Neighborhoods Hurts America and What We Can Do About It, and The House of Joshua: Meditations on Family and Place. She is co-author of Ernest Thompson's Homeboy Came to Orange: A Story of People's Power (1976) and Rodrick Wallace's Collective Consciousness and Its Discontents (2008).
She has received many awards, including inclusion in many “Best Doctors” and two honorary doctorates (Chatham College, 1999, and Bank Street College of Education, 2002). Her most recent book is Urban Alchemy: Restoring Joy in America's Sorted-Out Cities (2013).
Undergraduate: Bryn Mawr College, A.B., 1971
Graduate: Columbia University, M.S., 1974
Medical School: Columbia University, M.D., 1978
Internship: New York Hospital-Westchester Division, Psychiatry/Medicine, 1978 - 1979
Residency: New York Hospital-Westchester Division, Psychiatry, 1979 - 1981
Residency: Montefiore Hospital, Psychiatry, 1981 - 1982
Board Certifications: American Board of Psychiatary and Neurology
NYS Psychiatric Institute
1051 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10032
Dr. Fullilove's research has focused on the health problems caused by inequity. To learn about her current work studying main streets, you can visit her blog, mainstreetnj.blogspot.com.
1. Fullilove, MT: Urban Alchemy: Restoring Joy in America's Sorted-Out Cities, New Village Press, New York, NY, United States, 2013
2. Fullilove MT: Root Shock: How Tearing Up City Neighborhoods Hurt America and What We Can Do About It, Ballantine Books, NY, NM, USA, 2004
3. Fullilove MT: House of Joshua: Meditations on Family and Place, University of Nebraska Press, Lincoln, NE, USA, 1999
4. Wallace R, Fullilove MT : Collective Consciousness and Its Discontents: Institutional Distributed Cognition, Racial Policy and Public Health in the United States , Springer Publications, NY, NY, 2008
5. Fullilove MT: Psychiatric implications of displacement: contributions from the psychology of place. American Journal of Psychiatry 1996;153: 1516-1523