Judith Rabkin, PH.D., M.P.H.
Professor of Clinical Psychology (in Psychiatry)
Professor of Clinical Psychology in Psychiatry,
College of Physicians & Surgeons, Columbia
Adjunct Professor of Clinical Psychology in Psychiatry,
Weill College of Medicine, Cornell University
Since 1987 I have been engaged in HIV research, including both clinical trials to evaluate treatments for cponditions such as depression, hypogonadism and fatigue, and longitudinal cohort studies to evaluate rates of distress and coping with HIV progression.
In the past 10 years I also have worked with late stage ALS patients and caregivers in observational studies, also examining levels of distress and coping with illness. Our major current trials are designed to evaluate the efficacy of modafinil (and armodafinil) to treat fatigue in HIV+ adults, and a smaller trial with ALS patients. Both are placebo controlled double blind trials. Current work also includes a clinical trial of DHEA, a neurosteroid, on mood and cognitive function in depressed HIV+ patients over age 50.
Undergraduate: Wellesley College, BA, 1954-58
Graduate: NYU Grad Arts and Sci, PhD, 1959-67; 1976-78
Post-Graduate: Columbia School of Public Health, MPH, 1976-78
Board Certifications: NY State license as clinical psychologist
• HIV/AIDS depressive disorders and related problems
ALS: depression and fatigue
• End of life studies
Click here for Dr. Rabkin's Clinical Trials
NYS Psychiatric Institute
Room Unit 51 Unit/Box:
1051 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10032
Phone: 212 543 5762
Fax: 212 543 5326
Treatment of depression and fatigue in patients with HIV/AIDS and ALS.
1. Rabkin JG, McElhiney MC, Rabkin R, McGrath P, Ferrando S: Placebo-controlled trial of dehydroepiandrosterone (DHEA) for treatment of nonmajor depression in patients with HIV/AIDS. American Journal of Psychiatry 2006;163: 59-66
1. Rabkin JG, Albert SM, Del Bene M, O'Sullivan I, Tider T, Rowland L, Mitsumoto H: Prevalence of depressive disorders and change over time in late-stage ALS. Neurology 2005;65: 62-67
1. Rabkin JG, McElhiney MC, Rabkin R, McGrath P.: Modafinil treatment for fatigue in HIV/AIDS: A randomixed placebo-controlled study. . Journal of Clinical Psychiatry 2010;71(6): ePub ahead of print
1. Mitsumoto H, Rabkin JG: Palliative care for patients with amyotrophic lateral sclerosis. JAMA 2007;298: 207-216
1. Rabkin JG: HIV and Depression: Review and update. Current HIV/AIDS Reports 2008;5