Research interests include the clinical and translational study of gastrointestinal tumor genetics and biology.
Current research protocols include:
- a registry, blood and tumor repository for pancreas cancer and high-risk patients;
- secretin-enhanced imaging of the pancreas for early detection of pancreas cancer in high-risk individuals;
- the pathophysiological study of pancreatic endocrine function as an early pancreas cancer detection modality;
- the use of secretin-enhanced MRI (magnetic resonance imaging) in determining the degree of exocrine pancreas insufficiency after pancreas cancer resection;
- a high-risk pancreas cancer prevention and genetics program;
- the impact of gastric acid suppression medications on the development of gastric polyps;
- the use and risk of gastrointestinal endoscopy in patients scheduled for cardiac catheterization and possible coronary stent placement;
- the use of PET scanning in differentiating benign from malignant pancreas lesions.
Ongoing translational research activities include:
- investigations of the role of p16 and Rb genetic mutations in pancreatic cancer;
- the role of BRCA mutations and modifier genes in Ashkenazi Jews with pancreas cancer;
- the prognostic effect of pre-neoplastic pancreas lesions in patients who have undergone pancreas cancer resection;
- the molecular genetics of preneoplastic pancreas lesions;
- the use of stool DNA markers in the early detection of pancreas cancer.
Education and Training
||SUNY Health Sciences Center at Syracuse, Syracuse, NY
||SUNY Health Sciences Center at Syracuse,
||SUNY Health Sciences Center at Syracuse,
||DDB, NIDDK, NIH,
Honors and Awards
2009 – 2010 Irving Institute for Clinical and Translational Research/CTSA Imaging Core Pilot Project. “PET Scans for the Detection of Malignancy in Intraductal Papillary Mucinous Neoplasms (IPMN) of the Pancreas”. Mentor. (Principal Investigator - Dr. Caroline Hwang).
2006 – 2007 Hirshberg Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer Research Seed Grant
2003 – 2004 Columbia Presbyterian Medical Center Herbert IrvingComprehensive Cancer Center Pilot Award
- pancreas cancer screening, early detection, prevention, and genetics;
- colon cancer screening, early detection, prevention, and genetics;
- inherited gastrointestinal cancer and polyposis syndromes;
- genetic counseling and genetic testing;
- gastric acid hypersecretory states such as Zollinger-Ellison syndrome and gastrinoma;
- neuroendocrine tumors;
- the clinical effects of cancer and cancer treatment on the GI tract.
Areas of expertise:
Inherited and Familial Cancer Syndromes
Cancer Screening, Prevention, and Early Detection
1. Calvert P, Frucht H. (2002) The genetics of colorectal cancer. Ann. Intern. Med.
2. Cheng K, Chen Y, Zimniak P, Raufman J-P, Xiao Y, Frucht H. (2002) Functional interaction of lithocholic acid conjugates with M3 muscarinic receptors on a human colon cancer cell line. Biochim. Biophys. Acta.
3. Yang W-L, Frucht H. (2001) Activation of the PPAR pathway induces apoptosis and cox2 inhibition in HT-29 human colon cancer cells. Carcinogenesis
4. Yang W-L, Frucht H. (2000) Cholinergic receptor up-regulates cox2 expression and prostaglandin E2 production in colon cancer cells. Carcinogenesis
5. Frucht H, Jensen RT, Dexter D, Yang W-L, Xiao Y. (1999) Human colon cancer cell proliferation mediated by the M3 muscarinic cholinergic receptor. Clin. Cancer Res.
6. Frucht H, Stevens PD, Fogelman DR, Verna EC, Chen J, Chabot JA, Fine RL. (2004) Advances in the Genetic Screening, Work-Up, and Treatment of Pancreatic Cancer Current Treatment Options in Gastroenterology
7. Vinarsky V, Fine R, assaad A, Qian Y, Chabot JA, su G, Frucht H. (in press) Head and Neck Aquamous Cell Carcinoma in FAMMM Syndrome Head and Neck
8. Gatto NM, Frucht H, Sundararajan V, Jacobson JS, Grann VR, Neugut AI (2003) Risk of Perforation Following Colonoscopy and sigmoidoscopy: A Population Based Study Journal of the National Cancer Institute
9. Frucht H, Gazdar AF, Park JA, Oie H, Jensen RT (1992) Characterization of Functional Receptors for Gastrointestinal Hormones on Human Colon Cancer Cell Lines Cancer Research
10. Frucht H, Norton JA, London JF, Vinayek R, Doppman JL, Gardner JD, Jensen RT, Maton PN (1990) Detection of Duodenal Gastrinomas by Operative Endoscopic Transillumination. A Prospective Study Gastroenterology