Herbert Kleber, M.D.
Professor of Psychiatry
Director, Division on Substance Abuse,
New York State Psychiatric Institute
Dr. Kleber has been a pioneer in research and treatment of substance abuse for over 35 years. From 1968 to 1989, he founded and headed the Drug Dependence Unit at Yale University. He then served for 2 ½ years as the Deputy Director for Demand Reduction at the Office of National Drug Control Policy in the White House.
In 1992, Dr. Kleber founded at Columbia University the Division on Substance Abuse, now one of the leading centers in the country. He heads a number of projects on new methods to treat individuals with cocaine, heroin, prescription opioids, alcohol, or marijuana problems.
Dr. Kleber is the author of more than 250 papers, and the co-Editor of the American Psychiatric Press Textbook of Substance Abuse Treatment. He has received numerous prestigious awards, two honorary degrees, is listed as one of the “Best Doctors in America” and “Best Doctors in New York,” and was elected in 1996 to be a member of the Institute of Medicine of the National Academy of Science.
Undergraduate: Dartmouth College, B.A., 1952-1956
Medical School: Jefferson Medical College, M.D., 1956-1960
Internship: Health Center Hospitals, University of Pittsburgh, Rotating, 1960 - 1961
Residency: Yale University, Psychiatry, 1961 - 1964
• Addiction Psychiatry
NYS Psychiatric Institute
Room 3713 Unit/Box:66
1051 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10032
Development of new addiction treatments especially for opioid, cocaine,or marijuana abuse / dependence
1. Kleber HD: American Psychiatric Association. Practice Guidelines for the Treatment of Patients with Substance Use Disorders, 2nd Edition.. American Journal Psychaitry 2007;1-123
2. Kleber, HD: Pharmacologic treatments for opioid dependence: detoxification and maintenance options., , 2007
3. Levin, FR, Kleber, HD: Use of Dronabinol for Marijuana Dependence: Two Case Reports Review.. American Journal of Addictions 2008;17: 161-164
4. Kleber, HD: Methadone Maintenance 4 Decades Later: Thousands of Lives Saved But Still Controversial., , 2008
5. Galanter, M., Kleber, HD: Textbook of Substance Abuse Treatment, 4th Edition, American Psychiatric Publishing, Inc. , Washington, DC, 2008