Frances Levin, M.D.
Kennedy Leavy Professor of Clinical Psychiatry
Director, Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship,
NewYork Presbyterian Hospital
Director of Clinical and Educational Activities for the Division on Substance Abuse,
New York State Psychiatric Institute
Frances Rudnick Levin, MD, is the principal investigator on two federally funded grants, one T32 Training Grant, a KO2 Independent Scientist Award and co-principal investigator on several other grants.
Her research interests include pharmacologic treatment interventions for cocaine abuse, psychotherapeutic and pharmacologic interventions for marijuana dependence, and treatment approaches for substance abusers with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and other psychiatric illnesses.
Dr. Levin has numerous publications to her credit in the area of substance abuse and/or dual diagnosis.
Undergraduate: Brown University, 1981
Medical School: Cornell Medical College, M.D., 1985
Internship: New York Hospital, Rotating, 1985 - 1986
Residency: Payne Whitney, Psychiatry, 1986 - 1989
Board Certifications: American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Subspeciality Certifications: Addiction Psychiatry
• Substance Abuse
Click here for Dr. Levin's Clinical Trials
NYS Psychiatric Institute
Room 3625 Unit/Box:66
1051 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10032
1. Nunes EV, Levin FR: Treatment of depression in patients with alcohol or drug dependence: A meta-analysis. JAMA 2004;291(15): 1887-1896
1. Levin FR, Hennessy G: Bipolar disorder and substance abuse.. Biological Psychiatry 2004;56: 738-748
1. Levin FR, McDowell DM, Evans SM, Nunes E, Akerele E, Donovan S, Vosburg SK: Pharmacotherapy for marijuana dependence: A double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study of divalproex sodium.. American Journal of Addictions 2004;13(1): 21-32
1. Levin FR, Evans SM, Vosburg SK, Horton T, Brooks D, Ng J
: Impact of attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and other psychopathology on treatment retention in a therapeutic community.. Addictive Behaviors 2004;29: 1875-1882
1. Levin FR, Gunderson EW, Levounis P: Medical Education. Edited by Galanter M, In: Textbook of Substance Abuse Treatment
, American Psychiatric Publishing, Washington, DC, 2004