Frances Levin, M.D.
Kennedy Leavy Professor of Psychiatry at CUMC
Acting Director, Division on Substance Abuse,
NewYork Presbyterian Hospital
Frances Rudnick Levin, MD is the Kennedy-Leavy Professor of Clinical Psychiatry at Columbia University and Acting Director, Division on Substance Abuse, Director of the Addiction Psychiatry Fellowship Program at New York Presbyterian Hospital. Dr. Levin graduated from Cornell University Medical College and completed her psychiatric residency at the New York Hospital-Payne Whitney Clinic.
She is the principal investigator on several federally funded grants, a T32 NIDA funded Substance Abuse Research Fellowship, a K24 Mid Career Investigator Award and collaborates on several other grants. Her research interests include pharmacologic and psychotherapeutic treatment interventions for cocaine and marijuana abuse, and treatment approaches for substance abusers with attention-deficit hyperactivity disorder and other psychiatric illnesses.
Dr. Levin has over 170 articles and book chapters and serves on several advisory panels. She is an editorial board member of three journals, past President of the American Academy of Addiction Psychiatry and currently serves as the Chair of the APA council on addiction psychiatry. Please click here to listen to both my BlogTalk Radio Show: http://www.blogtalkradio.com/columbiapsychiatrynyspi/2013/12/10/cracking-the-code-solving-the-puzzle-of-cocaine-dependence;
Pills and Needles: Agonizing over Antagonists http://www.blogtalkradio.com/columbiapsychiatrynyspi/2013/12/12/pills-and-needles-agonizing-over-antagonists
Undergraduate: Brown University, 1981
Medical School: Cornell Medical College, M.D., 1985
Internship: New York Hospital, Rotating, 1985 - 1986
Residency: Payne Whitney, Psychiatry, 1986 - 1989
Board Certifications: American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
Subspeciality Certifications: Addiction Psychiatry
• Substance Abuse Disorders
NYS Psychiatric Institute
Room 3625 Unit/Box:66
1051 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10032
1. Nunes EV, Levin FR: Treatment of depression in patients with alcohol or drug dependence: A meta-analysis. JAMA 2004;291(15): 1887-1896
2. Levin FR, Mariani JJ, Brooks DJ, Pavlicova M, Cheng W, Nunes EV: Dronabinol for the treatment of cannabis dependence: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled trial. Drug and Alcohol Dependence 2011;116(1-3): 142-150
3. Mariani JJ, Pavlicova M, Bisaga A, Nunes EV, Brooks DJ, Levin FR: Extended-release mixed amphetamine sales and topiramate for cocaine dependence: A randomized controlled trial.. Biological Psychiatry 2012;72(11): 950-956
4. Levin FR, Mariani JJ, Brooks DJ, Pavlicova M, Nunes EV, Agosti V, Bisaga A, Sullivan MA, Carpenter KM: A randomized double-blind, placebo-controlled trial of venlafaxine-extended release for co-occurring cannabis dependence and depressive disorders. Addictive Behaviors 2013;108(6): 1084-1094
5. Levin FR, Mariani JJ, Specker S, Mooney M, Mahony A, Brooks DJ, Babb D, Bai Y, Eberly LE, Nunes EV, Grabowski J : Extended-Release Mixed Amphetamine Salts vs Placebo for Comorbid Adult Attention-Deficit/Hyperactivity Disorder and Cocaine Use Disorder: A Randomized Clinical Trial. JAMA Psychiatry 2015;72(6): 593-602