Deborah Cabaniss, M.D.
Clinical Professor of Psychiatry
Director of Psychotherapy Training,
Columbia University Department of Psychiatry
Director, Virginia Apgar Academy of Medical Educators,
Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
As the Director of Psychotherapy Training, Dr. Cabaniss teaches and supervises residents, coordinates the psychotherapy curriculum in the residency, and teaches psychodynamics to medical students. She is also the Director of the Virginia Apgar Academy of Medical Educators at the Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, and is a Training and Supervising analyst at the Columbia University Center for Training and Research. Dr. Cabaniss’ research interests primarily involve psychoanalytic and psychiatric education and she has authored many articles on this topic. She has been the recipient of many teaching awards, is a two time Teichner Scholar of the American Academy of Psychoanalysis and Dynamic Psychiatry, and is the lead author of "Psychodynamic Psychotherapy: A Clinical Manual," which is used by many residency training programs across the country. Her new book "Psychodynamic Formulation" will be released in 2013. She has a private practice in Manhattan, focusing on psychotherapy and psychoanalysis.
Undergraduate: Yale, B.A., 1980-1984
Medical School: Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons, M.D., 1984-1988
Internship: Columbia Presbyterian Hospital, 1988-1989
Residency: The New York State Psychiatric Institute, 1989-1992
Fellowship: Columbia University Center for Psychoanalytic Training and Research, Certificate in Psychoanalysis, 1991-1996
Board Certifications: Psychiatry, 1993
NYS Psychiatric Institute
Room 1300E Unit/Box:63
1051 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10032
Dr. Cabaniss' primary research interest has been in the area of psychiatric and psychoanalytic education.
1. Cabaniss DL, Cherry S, Douglas CJ, Schwartz A: Psychodynamic Psychotherapy: A Clinical Manual, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, , UK, 2011
2. Cabaniss DL, Cherry S, Douglas CJ, Graver RL, Schwartz, AR: Psychodynamic Formulation, Wiley-Blackwell, Oxford, , UK, 2013
3. Cabaniss DL, Arbuckle MA: Course and Lab: A New Model for Supervision. Academic Psychiatry 2011;35: 220-225
4. Cabaniss DL, Arbuckle MA, Douglas CJ: Beyond the supportive-expressive continuum: An integrated approach to psychodynamic psychotherapy in clinical practice. Focus 2010;VIII: 25-31
5. Cabaniss DL, Bosworth H: The Aim of the Training Analysis. Journal of the American Psychoanalytic Association 2006;54 (1): 203-229