Diana Martinez, M.D.
Associate Professor of Clinical Psychiatry
Dr. Martinez is a psychiatrist whose research focus on using Positron Emission Tomography (PET) radiotracer imaging to investigate the neurochemistry of addiction in the human brain. Her work uses PET imaging to detect the neurological changes that occur in drug and alcohol addiction, and whether these biomarkers for addiction are associated with the severity of disease and treatment response. She also uses imaging to develop innovative treatment approaches for addiction.
Undergraduate: St. John, B.A., 1988
Medical School: Cornell University, New York, M.D., 1994
Internship: New York Hospital Cornell Medical Center, New York, Psychiatry, 1994 - 1995
Residency: New York Hospital Cornell Medical Center, New York, Psychiatry, 1995 - 1998
Board Certifications: American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
NYS Psychiatric Institute
1051 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10032
1. Martinez D, Slifstein M, Nabulsi N, Grassetti A, Urban NB, Perez A, Liu F, Lin SF, Ropchan J, Mao X, Kegeles LS, Shungu DC, Carson RE, Huang Y.: Imaging glutamate homeostasis in cocaine addiction with the metabotropic glutamate receptor 5 positron emission tomography radiotracer [(11)C]ABP688 and magnetic resonance spectroscopy.. Biol Psychiatry 2014;75: 165-71
2. Martinez D, Saccone PA, Liu F, Slifstein M, Orlowska D, Grassetti A, Cook S, Broft A, Van Heertum R, Comer SD: Deficits in dopamine D(2) receptors and presynaptic dopamine in heroin dependence: commonalities and differences with other types of addiction.. Biol Psychiatry 2012;71: 192-8
3. Martinez D, Carpenter KM, Liu F, Slifstein M, Broft A, Friedman AC, Kumar D, Van Heertum R, Kleber HD, Nunes E: Imaging dopamine transmission in cocaine dependence: link between neurochemistry and response to treatment.. Am J Psychiatry 2011;168: 634-41
4. Martinez D, Orlowska D, Narendran R, Slifstein M, Liu F, Kumar D, Broft A, Van Heertum R, Kleber HD.: Dopamine type 2/3 receptor availability in the striatum and social status in human volunteers.. Biol Psychiatry 2010;67: 275-8
5. Martinez D, Slifstein M, Gil R, Hwang DR, Huang Y, Perez A, Frankle WG, Laruelle M, Krystal J, Abi-Dargham A: Positron emission tomography imaging of the serotonin transporter and 5-HT(1A) receptor in alcohol dependence.. Biol Psychiatry 2009;26: 411-8