B. Timothy Walsh, M.D.
W&J Ruane Professor of Pediatric Psychopharmacology (in Psychiatry)
Director, Division of Clinical Therapeutics,
New York State Psychiatric Institute
B. Timothy Walsh, M.D., a graduate of Princeton University and of Harvard Medical School, joined the staff of Columbia University Medical Center in 1979 and established the Eating Disorders Research Unit at New York State Psychiatric Institute. Dr. Walsh is currently the Ruane Professor of Pediatric Psychopharmacology in the Department of Psychiatry at the College of Physicians & Surgeons, Columbia University, and Director of the Division of Clinical Therapeutics at New York State Psychiatric Institute.
Dr. Walsh’s research group has examined biological and psychological abnormalities which contribute to the development and perpetuation of disturbances in eating behavior, and investigated both psychological and pharmacological treatments for Anorexia Nervosa, Bulimia Nervosa and Binge Eating Disorder. Dr. Walsh was a member of the DSM-5 Task Force and chaired the Eating Disorders Workgroup for DSM-5. He is a past president of the Academy for Eating Disorders, and of the Eating Disorders Research Society.
Undergraduate: Princeton University, A.B., 1967
Medical School: Harvard Medical School, M.D., 1972
Internship: Dartmouth Affiliated Hospitals, NH, Internship in Medicine, 1972 - 1973
Residency: Bronx Municipal Hospital/Albert Einstein, Psychiatry Residency, 1974 - 1976
Residency: Bronx Municipal Hosp/Albert Einstein, Chief Residency in Psychiatry, 1976 - 1977
Fellowship: Dartmouth Medical School, New Hampshire, Fellowship in Medicine, 1973 - 1974
Post-Graduate: Montefiore Hospital, Bronx, Fellow in Liaison Psychiatry, 1977 _ 1978
Post-Graduate: Montefiore Hospital, Bronx, Research Fellow in Psychiatry, 1978 _ 1979
Board Certifications: American Board of Psychiatry and Neurology
NYS Psychiatric Institute
Room 2306 Unit/Box:98
1051 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10032
1. Walsh BT: The Enigmatic Persistence of Anorexia Nervosa. American Journal of Psychiatry 2013
2. Walsh BT, Attia E: Eating Disorders. In: Longo DL, Fauci AS, Kasper DL, Hauser SL, Jameson JL, Loscalzo J (eds): Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine (18th edition). , McGraw Hill, NY, 2011
3. Walsh BT: The importance of eating behavior in eating disorders. Physiology and Behavior 2011;104: 525-529
4. Attia E, Walsh BT: The Behavioral Management of Anorexia Nervosa. New England Journal of Medicine 2009;360: 500-506
5. Walsh BT, Kaplan AS, Attia E, Olmsted M, Parides M, Carter JC, Pike KM, Devlin MJ, Woodside B, Roberto CA, Rockert W: Fluoxetine after weight restoration in anorexia nervosa: a randomized controlled trial. JAMA 2006;295: 2605-12