Adam Bisaga, M.D.
Professor of Psychiatry at CUMC
Director, Nicotine Laboratory,
NYS Psychiatric Institute
Dr. Adam Bisaga is a Professor of Psychiatry at the Columbia University Medical Center, and a Research Scientist at the New York State Psychiatric Institute.
Dr. Bisaga received his medical degree from Jagiellonian University Medical College in Krakow, Poland and he trained in psychiatry and behavioral pharmacology of addictions at the Institute of Psychiatry and Neurology in Warsaw, Poland. He completed his psychiatric residency at the North Shore University Hospital in Manhasset, NY and in 1997 began working at the Division of Substance Abuse at Columbia University, first as a research fellow and later as a research psychiatrist. Here he received training in addiction psychiatry research under the mentorship of Drs. Marian Fischman and Herbert Kleber. He was a recipient of a Career Development Award and a Principal Investigator on several R01 grants funded by the National Institute of Dug Abuse. His current research interests include: 1) development of animal and human laboratory models of addictions, 2) testing new medications for opioid, cocaine, alcohol and tobacco use disorders, and 3) dissemination of evidence-based treatments into community programs.
Besides his research contributions Dr. Bisaga’s has been actively involved in teaching, both locally and well as nationally. He has served on several UN expert panels to develop substance abuse treatment guidelines and conducted training for practitioners internationally. In addition to the research and teaching work at the University, Dr. Bisaga also maintains a private practice in general and addiction psychiatry.
Medical School: Jagiellonian University Medical College, M.D., 1989
Internship: North Shore University Hospital, Medical, 1993 - 1994
Residency: North Shore University Hospital, Psychiatry, 1994 - 1997
Fellowship: Columbia University Medical Center/NYS Psychiatric Institute, Substance Abuse, 1997 - 1999
Board Certifications: American Board of Psychiatry & Neurology
Subspeciality Certifications: Addiction Psychiatry
• Addiction Psychiatry
• Substance Use Disorders
NYS Psychiatric Institute
Room 3711 Unit/Box:120
1051 Riverside Drive
New York, NY 10032
1. Bisaga A, Aharonovich E, Garawi F, Levin FR, Rubin E, Raby WN, Nunes EV: A randomized placebo controlled trial of gabapentin for cocaine dependence. . Drug Alcohol Depend 2006;81: 267-274
2. Bisaga A, Daysz W, Foltin R: Antagonism of glutamatergic NMDA and mGluR5 receptors decreases consumption of food in baboon model of binge-eating disorder. . Eur. Neuropsychopharmacology 2008;18: 794-802
3. Bisaga A, Aharonovich E, Cheng W, Levin FR, Mariani JM, Raby WN, Nunes EV.: A placebo controlled trial of memantine for cocaine dependence with high-value voucher incentives during a pre-randomization lead-in period.. Drug Alcohol Depend 2010;111: 97-104
4. Bisaga A, Sullivan MA, Cheng W, Carpenter KM, Mariani JM, Levin FR, Raby WN, Nunes EV. : A placebo controlled trial of memantine as an adjunct to oral naltrexone for opioid dependence.. Drug Alcohol Depend 2011;119: e23-9
5. Bisaga A, Sullivan MA, Glass A, Mishlen K, Carpenter KM, Mariani JJ, Levin FR, Nunes EV.: A placebo-controlled trial of memantine as an adjunct to injectable extended-release naltrexone for opioid dependence. J Subst Abuse Treat 2014;46: 546-52